Written by Dominique Bancey
Do you ever sit and wonder what exactly all these celebrities do with the bundles of cash they collect? Other than buying themselves fancy houses, cars, jewelry, and clothes, what do they use it for?
One smart thing some celebrities do with their money at some point in time, is start a charity or foundation to provide for those in need. Here is a list of some celebrities who give back.
– Russell Simmons. His foundation, Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, is focused toward young people in America who face disadvantages. It gives them the opportunity to practice art.
– Denzel Washington. He has donated $1 million to Wiley College.
– Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson. He has a scholarship program called, Taylor Michaels Scholarship Program, which allows students who are considered to be a minority, the opportunity to gain financial support, a laptop, a yearly leadership conference and mentorship and internship opportunities.
– Usher. His New Look Foundation was created to allow inner-city children to be able to achieve their dreams.
– Sheryl Lee Ralph. She created the Diva Foundation which helps to raise awareness and fund HIV/AIDS prevention.
– Jennifer Hudson. She has teamed up with Weight Watchers’ Lose for Good Campaign to assist in the fight against world hunger.
– Kerry Washington. She has joined the Uptown Girls Benefit to uplift young women in Bronx, New York, to fight against the afflicting statistics they face.
– Robyn ‘Rihanna’ Fenty. She created a foundation in the name of her grandparents’. The Clara Lionel Foundation is geared towards children in the Caribbean who would like to attend university in the states but cannot afford it.
There are many other celebrities who do the best they can to support and help the less fortunate in the world. Many times we do not notice the good these celebrities do, because the media tends to focus on the more awful things.
How about we turn that around?
Let’s focus on the positive instead of the negative.
Until next time.